Porcelain veneers are an extremely popular cosmetic dentistry procedure, because they can treat a wide variety of cosmetic issues and give you a beautiful yet still natural looking smile. However, people wonder how long porcelain veneers will last. Is it worth it to spend the money on them?
Porcelain veneers are not permanent, but they can last for 10 to 20 years with no problems if you take proper care of them. Most of our patients find that porcelain veneers are well worth it, and are very happy with their outcomes.
If you are interested in porcelain veneers, please don’t hesitate to contact Arlington Dental Aesthetics at 703-527-1020 to schedule your complimentary consultation.
Reasons to Replace Porcelain Veneers
The most common reasons people may need to replace their porcelain veneers include:
- Tooth decay: If you develop cavities beneath your veneers due to improper dental hygiene, your veneer’s bonding may be weakened. Tooth decay is the number one reason veneers fall off and need to be replaced.
- Rough treatment of your teeth: When you treat your teeth poorly by doing things like chewing ice or hard candy, using your teeth to open packaging, or chewing on pens or pencils, it can loosen or chip your veneers.
- Accidents: If you’re in an accident that causes trauma to the mouth, your porcelain veneers may not survive. Your natural teeth may not survive either, but luckily options like dental implants exist if you lose teeth in an accident.
- Teeth grinding: If you grind your teeth, your porcelain veneers can become loose and fall off. Grinding your teeth is bad for not only your teeth but your overall jaw health, so we will likely recommend an oral appliance to help you stop grinding.
If one or more of your porcelain veneers is damaged or falls off, contact us about having it replaced. We can also replace porcelain veneers that were placed by a different dentist.
Tips for Proper Care of Porcelain Veneers
Caring for your porcelain veneers should be easy, and not significantly different from caring for your natural teeth. The most important part of caring for your teeth is maintaining good oral hygiene habits and visiting us regularly for deep cleanings and checkups.
A good oral hygiene routine includes the following:
- Brush your teeth twice a day
- Floss at least once a day
- Rinse your mouth with water after eating
- Avoid sugary drinks like soda and juice as much as possible
- Don’t chew on ice, your fingernails, or your pencil
- Visit Arlington Dental Aesthetics every 4 to 6 months for your regular cleaning and checkup
With porcelain veneers, you should also be careful to avoid eating too many sticky foods like toffee or caramel. Sticky foods can weaken your veneers, and because they are hard to fully rinse off the teeth, they can lead to cavities.
Maintaining good oral hygiene helps ensure that your porcelain veneers stay strong and your mouth stays healthy. Your veneers should last a very long time as long as you can follow your dentist’s recommendations for good oral health.
Schedule Your Porcelain Veneers Consultation
If you have chips, cracks, discoloration, or other minor to moderate cosmetic problems with your teeth, porcelain veneers may be a good choice for you. Schedule your consultation today by calling Arlington Dental Aesthetics at 703-527-1020.
We serve patients in Arlington and South Riding, Virginia.