Life can be hectic when you have children. It can often be difficult to juggle the responsibilities of a full-time job, taking care of household chores and raising children. When your kids have multiple activities after school, it can become even more challenging to find time for important appointments such as dental checkups and cleanings. For this reason, finding a family dentist who can address the oral health needs of your entire family can provide a much-needed level of convenience.
However, it’s important to understand that not all family dentists offer the same levels of quality care or the same breadth of dental services. It’s important to do your research to make sure your loved ones’ oral health needs are being addressed by the right family dentistry practice.
Finding the Right Family Dentist
The following tips will help ensure you choose a family dentist who can provide exceptional levels of care for all of your loved ones:
- Evaluate your dentist’s training – Graduating from an accredited dental school is the absolute minimum level of training necessary to practice dentistry. You’ll want to work with a family dentist who goes above and beyond this minimum level and demonstrates a commitment to continuing education. Don’t be afraid to ask your dentist about post-graduate programs completed and any ongoing educational training they participate in. This will ensure your dentist remains up to date on the most advanced techniques and treatments.
- Find a dentist with a wide range of experience – You experience different oral health issues at every stage of your life. A good family dentist must have the experience necessary to address the dental needs of young children, adults and elderly patients.
- Make sure the dentist provides comprehensive services – All family dentists must be able to deliver basic general dentistry services. However, this is just a portion of what you should expect to receive from your dentist. You’ll want to work with a family dentist who can address other oral health needs that may arise over time. Look for a practice that offers cosmetic dentistry services, sedation dentistry to ensure you are relaxed and comfortable, orthodontics treatment to address any bite alignment issues your teenagers experience, and emergency dentistry services for unexpected issues that may require immediate attention.
- Choose a child-friendly dental practice – Visiting the dentist can be scary for many young children, and you’ll want to find a dental practice that understands how to provide a comfortable, positive experience for your kids. This may include a warm chairside manner, a waiting room that contains games to engage your children, prizes to reward kids after a good visit, and a commitment to educating parents and children on the best ways to care for their teeth.
- Find a dentist with flexible office hours – To accommodate the hectic schedules of parents and their children, many family dentists offer flexible hours. Ask if the dentist will be able to schedule all of your children on the same day. Also ask whether evening and weekend appointments are available. This flexibility will make it much easier to fit these important dental visits into your busy schedule.
- Look at the dentist’s reviews – One of the best ways to get a sense for the quality of care you can expect to receive is to look at reviews from other patients. You can easily find reviews online by checking Yelp, Google, Healthgrades, and other similar websites.
Contact our Northern Virginia Family Dentists
At Arlington Dental Aesthetics and South Riding Smiles, we’re committed to delivering the high quality, comprehensive dental care that your family deserves. We understand the unique needs experienced by patients of all ages, and we have extensive experience working with young children. Our team of family dentists has the background necessary to address just about any oral health issue you and your love ones may have.
Please call 703-527-1020 to schedule an appointment at Arlington Dental Aesthetics or 703-327-7705 to schedule an appointment at South Riding Smiles. We serve patients in Arlington, South Riding and throughout Northern Virginia.